Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Stymied... Or Then Again Not

I just went out for a walk around the garden, looking for inspiration for trying a new recipe.  It's a low time for perennial vegetables.  I found some red raspberries but not enough to do anything with so I just ate them ("eat out of hand" is always my fall-back recipe).  There's tons of perennial arugula, but I'm in more of a sweet mood right now, so I passed it by.

I decide to revisit the clove currants.  Last time I posted about them I was about to make them into a dessert.  But I got busy and sleepy, and it didn't happen.  I woke up thinking today would be the day.  I started brainstorming recipes.  My first idea was to put them in muffins, maybe with some sort of spicy topping.  But then I remembered one of my springtime favorites and decided to try substituting clove currants for rhubarb in my mom's beloved "Rhubarb Delight".  It's a dessert that features a simple shortbread crust topped with tender rhubarb chunks suspended in a vanilla custard.  Mmmm...

So, I just popped outside to pick them, hoping for 3-4 cups of currants, and all I got was a measly half cup.  I think the ones that were ready before have gone by.  There are plenty of ripening currants, but very few that were perfectly ripe today.  So now I have a half cup of clove currants kicking around.  Maybe that's enough to pop in a ramekin and put a little crust on top. 

So much for the "Clove Currant Delight".  But come to think of it, rhubarb is a perennial vegetable, and a part of our Edible Forest Garden, so it can go ahead and be the star of the recipe.  I'll have to put that in my tickler file for next spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment