Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Starting the Blog, Introducing Gooseberry/Jostaberry Slump

Welcome to Edible Forest Garden Cookery!   I'm writing a cookbook featuring the plants we grow in our edible forest garden here in Massachusetts.  A friend and fellow cookbook-writer suggested I start a blog about my writing process.  I figure it will keep me honest, hold me to writing this thing, and help me gather some great input from other people interested in this stuff.  So, here I go!

I thought I'd kick things off with a recipe.   It's modeled after a recipe my mom made up.  She calls it a slump, so I'll keep the name.  This version calls for a combination of gooseberries and jostaberries.  Depending on where you live, you may still have some of these juicy beauties clinging to the bush.   If not, feel free to substitute other fruits - just adjust the amount of sugar accordingly.
********

Gooseberry and Jostaberry Slump 

Berries:
2 cups mixed berries (gooseberries and jostaberries)
1/4 cup sugar 
1 Tbsp. flour
1/8 tsp. salt

Crust:
1/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/8 tsp. salt
1 tsp. sugar
1 Tbsp. butter
1/8 cup milk


Preheat oven to 425 degrees. 
 
Place berries in a mixing bowl.  Stir in sugar. Add flour and salt and stir to combine.  Dump berry mixture into two ramekins or baking dish.

In small mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar.  Cut butter into small pieces, and add to flour mixture, squishing it in with your fingers to make a crumble.  Slowly add just enough milk to make dry crumbs.

Sprinkle crumbs over fruit.   Bake for 15-20 minutes until fruit is bubbling and crust is golden.

Let it cool so you don't burn your mouth, and enjoy with yogurt, ice cream, or as is!
********

If you try this out, let me know what you think!

1 comment: